Pharmacists are highly skilled healthcare professionals who can provide you with more than just filled prescriptions. In many situations, they can offer clinical advice, treatments for minor illnesses, and point you in the right direction if you need further help.
There are some differences between traditional pharmacists and care home pharmacists. Keep reading to learn more about the services the different types of pharmacists offer.
A traditional pharmacist offers several different services to improve the health and well-being of their local community. Their services can include, but are not limited to:
- Dispensing medications
- Filling repeat prescriptions
- Providing emergency prescriptions
- Unwanted medicine disposal
- Advice and access regarding over-the-counter medications
- Treatment and advice for minor illnesses and injuries
Most pharmacies have a private consultation room where they can offer more enhanced services that you used to only be able to access from a GP surgery. It will vary from location to location, but pharmacists can generally provide:
- Sexual health screening
- Blood pressure checks
- Emergency contraception
- Smoking cessation services
- Weight management programmes
- Vaccinations (e.g., flu and covid-19)
In addition to these vital services, pharmacies are often open later and on weekends which gives people extended hours to get basic medical care and advice.
Care Home Pharmacists
Care home pharmacists are trained similarly to traditional pharmacists, but also have specialised knowledge pertaining the unique needs of older patients. The level of support care home pharmacists provide will depend on a number of factors because no one care home is the same as another.
If your care home partners with a care home pharmacy in Wellesbourne and Kineton, your dedicated pharmacist will:
- Provide personalised and attentive one-on-one care
- Perform medication administration and reviews
- Minimise medication errors, polypharmacy, and medicine waste
- Run clinics
- Reduce the risk of falls
- Provide training and support to care home staff
Care homes are under a lot of pressure from the rapid increase in our elderly population. Ease the workload on your staff and enhance the quality of life for your residents by using the services of Pharmacy to My Door, a leading care home pharmacy in Chipping Norton and Moreton-in-Marsh. We also work with several care homes in Chipping Campden and the surrounding areas.
Click here to read more about our Care Home Pharmacy services.