Will the NHS pay for my long-term care?

Long-term care is sometimes provided and funded by the NHS. If it isn't funded by the NHS, it may be provided by your local authority. Your local authority may charge for the services provided. Depending on your financial circumstances, you may have to pay for some or all of the care you receive.

You can have an assessment to determine whether you are entitled to NHS-funded care and, if not, how much you will pay towards your care.

NHS continuing healthcare

Some people with long-term complex health needs qualify for care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare. Read more in What is NHS continuing healthcare?  

NHS-funded nursing care

If you do not qualify for NHS continuing healthcare, but you have been assessed as needing care from a registered nurse, you may receive NHS-funded nursing care. Read more in What is NHS-funded nursing care?

Joint package of care

If you are not entitled to NHS continuing healthcare or NHS-funded nursing care, the NHS may still pay for part of your care. This is sometimes known as a joint package of care.

Local authority services

If you are not entitled to care funded by the NHS, or only part of your care is funded by the NHS, your care may be provided by your local authority. Local authorities are allowed to charge for the services they provide and most of them do so. Find out about care provided by local authorities in Care and support: How do I get care?


To find out whether you are entitled to long-term care provided by the NHS, you can have an assessment. Find out more in How will my eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare be assessed?

If you do not qualify for NHS continuing healthcare, you can be assessed by your local authority. Find out more by reading Care and support: Community care assessments.

Read the answers to more questions about caring, carers and long-term conditions.

Further information: