The UK population is living longer, healthier lives than ever before. Fewer people are admitted into care homes each year, but when they are admitted they tend to have more complicated and specialised medication needs.
Within a care home, a pharmacist is a vital resource in the safe and effective use of medicines in the elderly and vulnerable populations. A care home pharmacist works as a part of a multidisciplinary, holistic team to ensure safe, cost-effective, and high quality care to residents.
In addition to providing patients with specialised and enhanced care, a care home pharmacists reduces the burden on care home staff. By spending less time on the administration and management of medications, staff can dedicate more resources to direct patient care.
Improving Medication and Patient Outcomes
Pharmaceutical care in care homes is a specialised area and patients are best served by a dedicated pharmacist trained in care home medicine. By outsourcing your medication management to a care home pharmacist, you’re providing your patients with an extra level of care and protecting them against medication errors. You’re also giving your patients access to a wide range of health services that will enhance their quality of life and improve care home processes.
A care home pharmacist can:
- Dispense medications
- Perform medication reviews
- Function as a first point of contact for medication enquiries
- Prevent the use of unnecessary or contraindicated medications
- Reduce dispensation and prescription errors
- Order and dispense last minute or emergency medication
- Provide training for care home staff
- Evaluate and advise on current medication management systems
- Assist with setting up sustainable practices
- Reconcile medicines when a patient moves to a care home
- Act a liaison between GPs/hospitals and the care home
Care Home Pharmacy in Moreton-in-Marsh
This is just a snapshot what Pharmacy to My Door’s care home pharmacy in Chipping Norton and Brailes can provide your care home. Working together with your care home staff, we will customise a service plan that will streamline your patients’ medical care and provide them with dignity and a better quality of life.
Speak to one of our friendly and knowledgeable staff at Pharmacy to My Door to find out how we can help with your residents’ care and wellbeing. We offer services in several locations, acting as a care home pharmacy in Brailes, Shipston on Stour, and Chipping Campden.